Contrary to popular belief, keeping facial hair doesn’t “make you hotter.” Beards actually don’t retain heat at all. It might make you hotter in an attractiveness sense but that’s a discussion for a different time.
Beards do, however, trap sweat, random food, bacteria and assorted lotions. These offenders build up on the skin in your beard when the weather gets warm. All those irritants get trapped in your beard and irritate your skin worse than sand in your butt crack on a summer beach day.
A beard shampoo — or beard wash as it’s sometimes called — is necessary to clean out the follicles and keep the skin underneath dirt and smut free. Like the rest of the hair on your body, facial hair needs to be washed regularly. But is a shampoo just for beards really necessary? Yup, or we wouldn’t be writing this piece.
Unlike the traditional shampoo from the grocery, beard shampoos are specifically formulated for the face. Hair shampoos strip away all of the oils in your hair so it doesn’t look shiny or stuck together. It does the same to your face but you actually WANT some of those oils to stick around. Beard shampoos will clean without stripping.
If you’re still not convinced, this article will do a way better job of convincing you beard shampoos are vital.
Now that you’re ready to face your face, here are some shampoos for beards we recommend for the winter.
Best Beard Shampoos Under $20
1. Beard Wash by Mountaineer Brand: Stop damaging your beard with the harsh chemicals contained in commercial shampoos and conditioners. This all-natural beard wash is a very mild, liquid-castile soap that is chemical free and won’t strip your beard of its natural oils. This is the smart choice for those who cleanse anywhere from several times a day to several times a year (you know who you are). Mountaineer Brand Beard Wash comes in 4 scents: WV Timber, WV Coal, WV Pine Tar and WV Citrus & Spice. Each scent is unique, but the quality is the same; try them all. BUY: $10
2. Beardsmen Shampoo & Wash: Tired of having an itchy beard? Beardsmen Spirit Beard Shampoo and Beard Wash nourishes the skin and helps to stop itching associated with beard growth. Plus, it also helps stop beard dandruff. This premium beard shampoo is one of the highest quality beard shampoos on the market and with a size almost double the competition, it is also the best value. BUY: $14.95
3. Spartans Den Premium Beard Shampoo: Spartans Den Premium Beard Shampoo is a leading beard care product that is tough on dirt and grime but gentle to your beard and skin. When used regularly our beard wash will benefit your beard by keeping it smelling great with a sophisticated masculine scent while maintaining silky, healthier growth. BUY: $13.50
4. Professor Fuzzworthy’s Beard Shampoo: Perfect gift for fathers, husbands, boyfriends, and our bearded friends! A full sized 100% natural shampoo bar rich in conditioning olive & castor oil, Leatherwood beeswax and honey gently and thoroughly cleanses your hirsute pride and joy for a healthy, fluffy, and shiny beard. BUY: $12.95
5. Grave Before Shave Beard Wash: With the fresh scent of an old time barber shop, Grave Before Shave beard wash is enriched with Argan Oil to keep your hair hydrated to the fullest. This shampoo is designed for facial hair but works fantastic on all hair. BUY: $12.99